Frequently Asked Questions FAQs
Some FAQs that we get from our Long Island clients and associates
What should I consider in selecting a domain?
A domain name (web address) is your doorway to the Internet. A good domain name brings more traffic to your site and reduces the cost of advertising. A domain name should be easy to remember and related to your business or organization. Here are some general guidelines in selecting one (whether you're considering a dot LI, dot COM, dot NET or any other extension).
- Typically, the shorter a Domain Name is, the better. Apart from being easier to spell and type, a short Domain Name has more impact and is more memorable. One-word Domain Names are usually the best; two-word Domain Names can also be effective. Domain Names with more than 15 or 20 characters are usually less desirable. Remember, for people to visit your Website, they have to successfully recall and type your Domain Name.
- Typically, Domain Names without hyphens are more desirable than hyphenated Names since the hyphen can distract from the continuity of the Name. For example, it is much simpler to say and recall, "Oyster Bay dot LI" than "Oyster hyphen Bay dot LI".
- Domain Names that are based on a well-known word (or words) that represent your industry are most desirable. For example, say the name of a Long Island alarm installation firm is "Smith and Jones Alarm Company". A Website address of Alarm.LI would have far more impact and be more memorable than other addresses such as SmithAndJonesAlarm.com.
Should I register more than one domain name?
The answer is often yes. Registering and using multiple domains names can help build your business:
- Can be used to promote different products or services you offer.
- Creates an opportunity to use different advertising strategies to reach targeted markets.
- Provides customers with more ways to find your business.
- Captures common misspellings of your domain, instead of sending customers to an error page.
- Captures alternative spellings of your domain, instead of sending customers to another website.
- Helps protect your brand.
Let's look at an example where it was helpful to register more than one domain:
- Class A home improvements of Wantagh specializes in new roof installation and roof repair. While Roof.LI was a natural choice for their website, the company also uses Roofing.LI and Roofer.LI.
Will using a dot LI domain help my SEO?
It will not help or hurt your Search Engine Optimization (SEO). SEO is dependent on numerous factors including content quality, back links, page titles, website structure, etc. The use of dot LI does not guarantee good placement on search engines in the same manner that dot com does not guarantee good placement.
What is dot LI?
Dot LI is a Top Level domain (TLD), just like dot com or dot net. Your Web address works the same with a .LI extension as with any other TLD, but the .LI extension can add much more to your site. Dot LI is distinctive and memorable, and is uniquely suited for any site that needs a strong association with Long Island. A .LI domain name is also much more likely to be available than a dot com name, enabling you to better control your presence on the Web.
The use of dot LI to represent Long Island is considered an alternate use of a TLD, since LI was originally intended for the principality of Liechtenstein. With memorable domains being difficult to come by, alternate TLD use has grown in popularity, such as .me and .TV.
For Long Island businesses, organizations and municipalities, a dot LI domain is ideal because chances are your perfect domain is available, and visitors will know you're right here on Long Island even before they get to your website.